Saturday, March 31, 2007

It All Began With Vogue

Well, my parents have been dragging me to antique shops since I could barely walk. But, I was never really interested until I had to go to the bathroom in one! I went to the bathroom in an antique shop that had walls completely wallpapered in ads from vintage Vogue magazines. That's when everything changed! I fell in love with the beautiful drawings and photography. And, the sassy outfits the women wore were the best! I immediately began scooping up all of the vintage Vogues I could find! I love the beautiful colors in this cover!


Ahhh, it's a flower child.


Is this woman sassy or what?


Bazaar also has some amazing art work like this oh so cool outfit!



I don't know what's going on here but she sure looks elegant doing it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is vintage? Are my Nirvana and PJ Harvey booklets vintage?

Retro Attic said...

The wikipedia definition of an antique contains the phrase "items subject to vigorous use in contrast, may be considered antiques in the U.S. if older than 25 years".

The wikipedia definition also states "The definition of antique varies from source to source, product to product and year to year."

I personally consider vintage items to be older than 25 years. I am particularly interested in clothing and paper items which are both generally subject to vigorous use and not meant to last.

For more information on items that are not meant to last and vintage clothing you might check out Ephemera Society or
Vintage Fashion Guild

Vintage is only a word. It doesn't matter if it's vintage or not if you like it! If you are trying to sell something all that really matters is the market demand. It doesn't matter how much something you are selling qualifies as vintage if no one is interested in buying it.

Sandra Eileen said...

I too love old vogue magazines.

Elaine said...

Hey Retro, I can SO relate. For me it was Glamour magazine with the tagline of 'Glamour – for the girl with a job' back in a favorite 1952 issue. Love your new blog!

Elaine (NixCat)

Gina said...

Oh my...I think we had those same tables in the '60's. I love retro stuff.
http://the-soulful-home.typepad.com/